Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Concerns from the Apple crowd

Yesterday I got an email from a longtime imood user Angela. Angela is concerned that I am going to leave Apple users in the dust:

I've been reading your dev blog and I'm excited about the new technology that you're going to bring to imood.com. I just want to remind you of one little thing: MACINTOSH. Please please please do NOT write the new site to hinder use with Macs. Java, in theory, will be fine if it works with mozilla, but I've seen it too many times with developers who drink the microsoft kool aid (NOT that you do!).

On behalf of all us Mac surfers, please don't leave us out of the new imood. I'm not assuming you'd do this on purpose or that you don't support OSX, but I've seen it happen before and I don't want to lose my little icon.


My response is: I am going to try not to.

Whatever technology I choose on the back end will have ZERO impact on how the pages render in your browser. So everyone out there shouldn't worry or care about that decision. The only people that decision MAY impact will be future imood client developers, but who knows.

As for supporting multiple browsers it's something I personally hate. I'd rather do manual labor than wack code around trying to make it happy in every browser imaginable. Having said that, I personally don't like writing fancy front-ends to websites so I cannot imagine writing anything that is too unfriendly.

I do have an eight year old iBook I can test on, so we'll see.

The big question will be whether all the browsers play nice with whatever Javascript library I pick. Right now I am leaning towards Dojo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You! I've been using imood (under a few different names) for a long time (Actually, I think since the first year you guys started)...so thank you for thinking of us Mac users!

- Matan :o)

Joe said...

On supporting multiple browsers...

The best way to do that is to keep to HTML 4 Strict and use server side scripting. JavaScript is good for things like rollovers and highlighting but if you stay as basic as you can it should be alright.

But that's just my opinion.

pero said...

I like having imood. I am also on a Mac...and I am willing to help with testing code on (just about any browser available for Mac).