Monday, February 11, 2008

Technology, Part 2

So I spent the weekend thinking about technology again.

Even though I made an excellent case for using Python the other day I still have some doubts.

I have so much experience using Java that I can move really fast if I use it. Things I will have to learn or look up in Python I already know how to do in Java.

Plus, there is the added fact that I am using Java again at work, so there is the wonderful synergy where things I learn at work will help imood, and things I learn doing imood will help work.

Still however, there is the problem of hosting. Are there any good Java hosts out there? I just don't know...

I still have some time to make this decision as I have yet to order my new development box. I thought it was going to be an easy choice, but now I toying around the idea with getting a laptop. I developed the Altruistic Tank on a laptop and I remember enjoying the freedom to work on my personal project from other locations than my house. Plus, I don't have a personal laptop.

Got to solve the box problem this week.

2 comments:

emilami said...

I don't know much about what hosts are out there. I have never really done all that much research. Most of the time I'm working on website code, I'm doing so for someone else.

As long as the code is capable of doing the job, I think it's best to go with whatever language you are the most comfortable with. That saves a lot of time, and can often make the project come out smoother in the end.

Though it would be a slower process, the benefit of trying something different is in learning something new. Of course, sometimes learning that new something is a waste of time, because you may never use that something new for anything else.

In trying to decide on a language, I would probably weigh things like this:
1.) How secure it is.
2.) How powerful it is.
3.) What the limits are.
4.) Ease of upgrading/reusing the code.
5.) The overall stability of the code.
6.) The overall disk usage.
7.) The speed at which the code would run.

That list ended up a lot longer than I thought it would when I started typing it. XD

Andrew said...

My buddy has this to say regarding Java hosting:

"So I've been poking around a bit and found some stuff that might be useful.

Java Hosting reviews: http://www.servlets.com/isps/servlet/ISPViewAll

another list: http://www.servletshop.com/advice/hosts.html

I also scrubbed a few forums and heard good things about: http://www.javaservlethosting.com/index.php and http://www.kattare.com/

With all the domain bandits running hosting fronts it's really hard to get a good vibe from anyone these days."