Friday, February 8, 2008

Technology

One of the main reasons I want to re-write imood is because of the technology. imood is written in Perl and a mix of regular Perl and object Perl at that. A lot of people will say "ewwwww gross" -- and they're right. But back in 1998 that's what you wrote web applications in.

I don't really use Perl anymore and I really don't want to.

A couple of years ago when I first started delving into a potential re-write I thought I was going to use Java. Java is a language I am more than comfortable in and have tons of experience with. Problem is it's sort of a pain to get good Java hosting, and to be honest, Java can be a little clunky when trying to move fast.

For the last year here at AG Interactive I've been using Python to code since all of our web applications are Python. I have to say I thought I was going to be against it, but now I've come to really enjoy it.

And even though I've since moved over to our brand new Photo team and will be using Java again, I am leaning towards using Python for the imood re-write.

TurboGears is a very easy to use framework that I've played around with before, plus I already have great hosting for TurboGears apps over at WebFaction.

Sounds like a winner to me.

3 comments:

emilami said...

I know nothing of this TurboGears, and I only know of Perl by reputation... but I am also a big fan of scripting with Python. I heard a lot of the lazy practices that Python can instill in a person, and I was rather against it until my husband started building simple scripts in it. I went in behind him and improved the scripts, and I gradually ended up scripting in it myself (though, I'm still a novice at it).

I cut my teeth on C/C++, so Java has always had a certain appeal for me. I have never actually found it to be practical, but perhaps I haven't been using it for the right things.


I didn't notice it until this morning, but I figured this would also be a decent place to respond to the question you posted at imood last month. I use Facebook, MySpace, and all other such applications in addition to imood (although, I admit I don't use imood as frequently as I once did).

The main thing that keeps me with imood is what drew me in initially: I can use one mood update image and link the profile wherever I please. I've linked it on various blogs, profiles, and forum signatures over the years. I like not being tied down to an entire blog to express a simple feeling.

Andrew said...

I agree with you that Python can instill lazy practices. There are a lot of nifty tools that can make life pretty easy for you, but you need to know when it's appropriate to use them.

A sloppy or undisciplined developer could very easily write some terrible code.

I mean, that's true of any language, but Python just has so many little sparkling and glowing pieces of magic that just beg the developer to use them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.